Coffee adds a delicious twist on the classic caramel millionaire bars in this recipe from the Nourishing Vegan Every Day cookbook. Packed with mocha flavor, each bite of these plant-based sweets will melt in your mouth.
What you need:
For the crust:
1¼ cup rolled oats
½ cup ground almonds
½ cup pecans
1 tablespoon ground coffee
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
¼ cup cashew or almond butter
3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
2 tablespoons maple syrup
¼ teaspoon salt
For the caramel:
½ cup cashew or almond butter
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons maple syrup
¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
1 teaspoon instant coffee dissolved in 1 teaspoon hot water
¼ teaspoon salt
For the topping:
3 ounces vegan chocolate, chopped
What you do:
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper. For the base, in a food processor, add oats, almonds, pecans, and coffee and pulse into a fine meal. Pour into a medium mixing bowl and add cacao powder, cashew butter, melted coconut oil, maple syrup, and salt. Stir until a sticky mix that holds together when pressed forms.
- Pour into prepared pan and press down firmly to form an even base layer. Chill in refrigerator.
- For the caramel, into a small bowl, add all ingredients. Stir until smooth. Pour over base layer and chill in refrigerator for 1 hour, or until set and firm to touch.
- Remove from pan and use a warmed, sharp knife to slice into ten bars or squares. Place back in refrigerator.
- For the topping, line a baking tray with parchment paper. In a double boiler, melt chocolate. One at a time, dip each caramel slice into chocolate and place on tray. Sprinkle with coffee beans, cacao nibs, and flaky salt. Set in refrigerator for 10 minutes, or until chocolate has hardened.
News Source: https://vegnews.com/vegan-recipes/vegan-chocolate-espresso-caramel-bars